The People Have Spoken

When we asked ChopCult readers to bare their souls in last month's readership survey, details on who you are, what you do and how you spend your hard-earned money flooded in. In just the first seven days, 1,461 people participated in our probe, nearly eight percent of our weekly visitors. This return rate is massive by polling standards, and says much about how seriously you guys take your involvement in today's scene.

Here's a snapshot of some of the more interesting results from the CC survey. If you participated, thanks for your help and support. We'll be notifying ten lucky random winners of the $100 Biltwell gift certificates via email this week.

THE CHOPCULT MAN

• 98% of ChopCult readers are men

• 31% attended at least some college

• 28% earn a living doing a trade

• 77% work on motorcycles in their garage

• 43% can ollie a curb

• 39% can bunnyhop a milk crate

• 15% drink regional microbrews

• 60% do not smoke the devil's lawn; 37% require no doctor's certification to do so (outlaws!)

• 68% enjoy home cooking

• 80% have never hosted, organized or volunteered at a grassroots motorcycle event

Other demographic facts and figures we found interesting:

1 AGE

No surprises here. Sixty-one percent of you are between the ages of 25 and 39, which is nearly a decade below the average new Harley owner according to MoCo data.

2 OCCUPATION

Another affirmation of something we've always believed about today's motorcycler: you're smart, hard-working and self-motivated. We overlooked "retired" and "part-time" as choices on this question, and one regular CC reader pointed out that oversight. Sorry, Mr. Bryant!

3 MARITAL STATUS

The divorce rate among ChopCult readers is just 7.1%. The average divorce rate in America among 25- to 39-year-olds is 13.4%. Congratulations: Once you find her, you usually keep her.

MOTORCYCLE OWNERSHIP

Somewhat surprisingly, rigid Evo's edged out late-model Sporties in the current bike question, with Yamaha beating Triumph as the first non-MoCo machine in the top-10.

4 CURRENT MOTORCYCLE OWNED

5 CURRENT CHASSIS

6 CURRENT FORKS

We were surprised to see springer forks fare so poorly against their hydraulic counterpart. Girders are practically invisible. Retro '70s funk may be all the rage in paint jobs, but girder forks from the same era don't get the love some think they deserve.

The next question might have been the most important one in our survey…

9 MOTORCYCLE PLAN TO BUY

Wow! Shovelheads still reign surpreme. Old Triumphs broke into the top-10, but couldn't trump Honda's allure in the process, a curious shift in popularity for England's leading two-wheeled export in my opinion.

8 SECOND MOTORCYCLE

As the chart above indicates and a subsequent question quantified, 27% of CC readers have two bikes: one reliable runner and one project-in-progress. Again, the majority of you are enthusiastic yet practical when it comes to riding and building motorcycles.

MEDIA CONSUMPTION

To say ChopCult members are hungry for knowledge would be an understatement. According to the survey, 27% of you spend two hours EVERY DAY visiting bike-specific online resources. A whopping 63% of you are on Facebook. On the print side of the mass media equation, these chopper rags are your top three:

• The Horse (61%)

• Street Chopper (46%)

• Cycle Source (44%)

10 TIME ONLINE

11 FAVORITE WEBSITES

Of the 94% of you who visit ChopCult at least once per month, bike features top all other forms of content by a wide margin, as evidenced by the following chart:

12 FAVE CC HOME PAGE STUFF

Dive into the ChopCult forum and your collective affinity for old Harleys becomes even more clear:

13 FAVORITE FORUM

In our questions about DVD's and videos, an interesting contadiction materialized:

16 WATCH DVDS

17 BUY DVDS

Just how can the vast majority of ChopCult readers watch six or more DVD's every year without actually buying one? Are you guys renting this stuff, or do you steal from friends? Whatever the case, it's cool to learn that sitting in front of the boob tube hasn't lost its appeal.

WRENCHING AND RIDING:

This pie chart says everything you need to know about the modern motorcycler:

18 WHO WORKS ON YOUR BIKE

A whopping 87% of you guys work on your motorcycle. I'm only mildly shocked because in the last six months I've barely touched mine.

The next chart is even more impressive. Sheet metal and paint aren't tasks for the casual grease monkey, but you guys are hitting this stuff with gusto.

19 WHAT HAVE YOU CUSTOMIZED

On the subject of riding your motorcycle, feast or famine appears to be the trend…

20 HOW OFTEN DO YOU RIDE

Nineteen percent of CC readers say they ride their motorcycles 200 days or more every year. I was shocked to learn that "less than 30 days per year" took third in our survey. I can't talk shit on this one. I haven't ridden either of my motorcycles ten times in the previous two years. It's probably because I spend so much time crunching data in stupid-ass surveys.

21 FAVE THING TO DO

The chart above shows just how well-rounded today's hard-core motorcycle enthusiast has become. "Daily commuting" is a curious leader, but "customizing," "weekend rides" and "campouts" make perfect sense—that's the stuff I like to do, and I'm ten years past the CC readers' prime. What about "parking lot events?" Dead last. As the following charts illustrate, you guys seem to view bike nights, dealer events and motorcycle rallies with a similarly jaundiced eye…

22A IS BIKE NIGHT DEAD

22B ARE DEALER EVENTS DEAD

22C ARE MAJOR RALLIES DEAD

Do these responses signal the death of shredded denim, Stoney Straps and nine-dollar beer? Probably not. It is encouraging to note the dramatic shift toward events that focus on riding, camping and camaraderie instead of shopping, polishing and burnout pits. If I could ask ChopCult readers for ONE thing, it would be take more responsibility for the quality of their local scenes. By your own admission, 80% of you have never worked at or organized a grassroots event. Measured against the strong DIY ethos that pervades the modern chopper scene, this is a dismal revelation in my opinion.

HOW DO YOU SEE YOURSELF?

Marketing wizards love to say "perception IS reality." One of the last questions in our survey sought to determine how you perceive YOUR place in the game…

33 WHAT ARE YOUR CHOPPER GOALS

Your top two answers illustrate both a firm grasp on reality and levels of dedication that seem honest and real. That four readers would admit to ditching choppers so they can move on to The Next Big Thing is both brazen and foul. We prize the truth around here, even when it hurts. Thanks again to everyone for their help. We promise to use the knowledge you've given us for good, not evil.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 10:14 am

Interesting and cool. Good stuff.

C

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 10:32 am

good to know most of us are on the same page and are not afraid to wrench on our own bikes.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 11:05 am

Hope it helpped out in some way.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 11:17 am

That seems right.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 12:02 pm

good stuff

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 12:37 pm

this is great. thanks guys for doing this.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 01:34 pm

Yeah, no outsider!!

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 01:55 pm

Shovels WIN!!

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 02:37 pm

I don't know that this is going to be a wave of change in motorcycling per se. I think it is a good representation of the fragmenting of "the scene." Like many things today they are getting less broad due to more info and options. The fact that the majority of us are 25-39 gen-x-ers who tend to be more individualistic skateboarding... snowboarding... BMXer types is pretty on target and speaks for a lot of the answers. HA... I wouldn't be surprised to see the younger demo resurrect the flashy fat tire scene in the future.

Great survey for sure. Will we get to see all the results?

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 03:31 pm

Hopefully the next cool thing comes soon. Hopefully Hackey sack comes back. Then I can sit all day on HackCult!

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 03:43 pm

Thanks for compiling all that data. It's a thankless job, but a very interesting read.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 04:53 pm

a thought on evos vs. sportsters stat: if you combined all post ironhead sportsters, "evo" sportys, they would be off the chart. what is the distinction in the two groups of evo sporties, is it rubber vs non rubber mounted motors?

also a comment on shovelhead being the next buy: i know i personally "voted" that way simply becasue i cant afford a pan or knuckle, noth of which i would prefer. shovels are still relatively affordable and somewhat plentiful. i want a big twin and i prefer the looks of the classic motors (as well as the periods in which they were built). so i am speculating shovelhead is the practical answer more so than the msot desirable engine/bike, or at least is is for me.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 04:58 pm

I too find it disconcerting about the poor results on grassroots events participation. I can't lay claim to being some kind of grassroots guru, but I've done my fair share of local organizing. But that's where it ends...local. My problem is, there are very few true chopper people in this very LARGE rural area. Anytime there is a true grassroots event in this largest of contiguous states, I am the first to get on board. That is, as soon as I hear about it!
Thanks to the folks at ChopCult, that task is becoming much easier!

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 05:01 pm

Wow, I am getting old...That totally sucks !!!

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 05:30 pm

Damn... I'm so average.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 05:49 pm

WOW ! 29 to 35 average age I hope I am still loved and respected cuz I cant bunny hop nuthun.But it is also totaly cool that a younger generation loves to do what I have done for 45 years.Carry on men

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 06:15 pm

fuck you make me feel old with 36.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 06:23 pm

in the process of putting together my own grassroots event. thanks for the push

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 02:39 am

Interesting. Birds of a feather, huh? Reckon I'm in the flock.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 06:28 pm

I'm a young outlaw. Haha...

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 07:03 pm

Very cool thanks. Very interesting to find out i'm old. Fuckers

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 07:34 pm

Of the 57% that can't Ollie a curb whats the % of old fucks like me who didn't even know what that means ?

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 08:28 pm

@ 51pan hahahahahahaha. you literally made me spit my drink on my computer. not to make you feel dumb, its a legit question but i still lost it.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 08:44 pm

good stuff but ya made me feel old @46.lol

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 09:14 pm

wow $$ to be made selling shovels.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 09:57 pm

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 10:21 pm

I hope the MoCo looks this over well. Actually, I don't really care if they do or not. Its clear that most of us are just doing what comes naturally and refuse to follow factory trends.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 10:33 pm

First ever survey I was interested in taking let alone finding out the results..lol

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 10:35 pm

Some great perspective here.

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 10:42 pm

4 people would just give up and leave? more road my big ass woo hoo!

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 10:42 pm

Hope you leave this up till tomorrow when I'm not drinkin....

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 11:19 pm

Utilizing empirical data to better reach/broaden your customer base; Its as though y'all are looking towards the future of chop cult. I applaud your initiative and forward thinking. Keep up the good work!

Commented on 5-2-2011 At 11:47 pm

Its good to know for the most part my peers on here are pretty close in everything about me. Now i dont feel as unique as i used to. Oh well back to the kitchen to work on the bike.

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 01:51 am

"retired" and "part-time" as choices on this question, and one regular CC reader pointed out that oversight. Sorry, Mr. Bryant!" I just put that in because I am retired but work part time and couldn't figure out what to put in for an answer. I didn't know what an "ollie" was either. This is a good survey and I hope it will pay off for all involved. Thanks for posting the results, it was really interesting.

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 01:52 am

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 02:24 am

As far as taking reaponsibility in the sene, where I come from in TX ( El Paso), there is not much of a non flamed do-rag sene. But when I move back waves will be made to make my home town a place to be, as far as the next gen chopper scene is concerned. Cali is to far and cost to much for my broke ass.

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 03:43 am

I feel ya', lilmad. When did I start sliding down tha' back side of tha' bell curve? ...(Oh, my aching back).............. Great stuff!

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 03:45 am

MTW wrote: "As one of the disconcerting members I'd like to throw in a few thoughts on the lack of grassroots events interest. From what I have seen, many events are just too commercial. Then you add some of the I-just-bought-a-Willie-G-rip-off-designed-twin-cam-and-bought-all-the-same-accessories-everybody-else-puts-on-their-bike-and-paid-to-have-them-installed-but-I'll-tell-everyone-I-did-the-work types and the appeal just isn't there. I've been to a few swap meets out in someone's cow pasture where people pull stuff out of their storage shed, throw it in the back of their beat-up El Camino and are more interested in seeing someone get some parts to get their bike back on the road than they are about soaking everyone for every last penny they can get. Those kick ass. Other events I've been to just don't do much for me. I guess I'd rather just wrench or ride."

PLUS ONE TO YOU, SIR! Nail hit squarely on tha' head!

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 11:42 am

This is good stuff,I'm glad to see all the people participate. Be cool!

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 02:32 pm

Great stuff and about what I was hoping for. Sucks though that I am nearly in the oldest age group......I have a runner and project so guess I'm average. I suppose I only fall outside the norm when you factor in 45 years riding.
All I know is I love the trend...them big assed hunks of Madison Ave. bikes are dying thank god. that and you young guys are going back to the elemental force of 2 wheels, a motor and a throttle WFO.

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 03:53 pm

i fucking love banner ads!

how else do you support a scene.

advertising is the soil of our economy.
(everyone uses the ads but ignores that fact)

and im willing to bet they watched all their biker
movies on their free trial of netflix.

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 04:48 pm

We gave you some input and I guess now we just cant stop. I guess that is a good thing though. Now everyone is hopefully going to start doing something new. Organizing, building, trading whatever it may be good luck to all.

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 10:29 pm

good to see this old man isnt the only greybeard who rides and wrenches on here...looking forward to more good shit on here....as always

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 11:16 pm

88.34% of us are exactly the same but if you're reading this don't worry I'm not talking about you you're different, unique, individual, you're special you snow flake you. Watch out there's a new herd commin through.

Commented on 5-3-2011 At 11:43 pm

98% of riders are men? Damn women need to start getting their own bikes...

Commented on 5-4-2011 At 12:48 am

Good info. I enjoyed it.

Commented on 5-4-2011 At 04:52 am

Man, That was so cool to read. I really appreciate CC for letting us all in on the stats. It gives us all a gage to reference our selves by, which if for no other reason, is simple good food for thought. Although, I didnt have time to take part in the questioner, I feel Id had been in the majorities on most questions. CC taking the time to do this in a well thought out way is what makes CC my favorite forum on the web. Great work guys. Yall really have a great forum here and I want to say Thanks for giving so many of us a way to keep our love for motorcycles growing.
Luke

Commented on 5-4-2011 At 08:41 pm

you forgot gay, straight, or bi

Commented on 5-6-2011 At 12:44 am

well, I guess I can leave my Chop Cult patch on my jacket..... I passed some kind of test. According to this survey, I am just like everyone else, I am cool :) HAHAHA

Commented on 5-6-2011 At 02:24 pm

It just popped up in my dome while looking at the data, that right now is kind of a bad time to be judging ride time. I live about 40 minutes north of pittsburgh, and we've only had about 15 days nice enough to ride comfortably. Its cold as balls still hahaha.