Southern Pride: The 2012 Dixie Roundup

Larry Pierce casts a long shadow on today's motorcycle landscape. Between running Garage Company Customs and holding down the fort in the heart of the Confederacy, this talented builder stays busy. In 2011 Larry launched a grassroots event packed with southern hospitality and pride. The Dixie Roundup expanded rapidly on some very positive word of mouth, and last month bikeriders from as far as New Jersey and California flocked to Larry's second annual moonshine-fueled hootenanny in the dirty south.

Ever the southern gentleman, Larry is the first to admit the Dixie Roundup would not exist without generous support from a number of great people and small businesses. First among these is Larry's lovely ladyfriend Ashley. Ashley's passion for co-hosting Mr. Pierce's free motorcycle hoedown is rivaled only by her love for Alabama's Crimson Tide. I learned this the hard way over moonshine and cheese biscuits at the GarCo compound. Being from the Sunshine State, I'm a fairweather fan of the University of Miami Hurricanes. When I mentioned this fact, Ashley unleashed a "Roll Tide!" battle cry that damn near woke the ghost of Bear Bryant. Every other Alabaman I met at GarCo and the Roundup shared similar enthusiasm for college ball. If your next venture below the Mason-Dixon Line includes a visit to Birmingham, consider yourself warned.

Like every great grassroots event we've attended in the previous decade, this year's Dixie Roundup was free to participants and spectators. The Courtyard Highway 25 Campground in Vandiver, AL, provided a bar, tent spaces, stage and cabins. To the chagrin of a couple uppity Yankees I spoke to, all services and amenities were first-class. How Larry convinced the owner of this fine establishment to let 500 drunken bikers lay waste to his venue is anyone's guess, but I'd bet this brainy innkeeper knows a motivated mob of drinkers when he sees one. Locals Ross and Bill sure did, and graciously distributed 72 quarts of peach and apple moonshine to GarCo's thirsty friends. Whatever the circumstances surrounding such largesse might be, Larry has been assured the Courtyard will host Dixie Roundup III in 2013.

Thanks to Biltwell, DicE magazine, Street Chopper, Red Bull, Lowbrow Customs, moonshine suppliers Ross and Bill, Barber Motorsports Musuem and of course Larry and Ashley at Garage Company Customs for the good times.

Thanks to SmugMug for taking photos on the ride to Barber Saturday morning. Click here to see if they caught you in action.

Commented on 5-16-2012 At 12:58 pm

I have always longed to have the coveted "first comment," so here it is:

The south rules!

...as does moonshine.

Commented on 5-16-2012 At 01:25 pm

that shit was a blast. count me in for 2013!

Commented on 5-16-2012 At 05:37 pm

Such an awesome time. Thanks to everyone that came out. See you next year!!!

Commented on 5-16-2012 At 05:40 pm

This years party was a blast. Being a part of this fine group of people makes my life a helluva lot of fun. By the way Spenser is selling his Shovelhead (it's in 3 different pics here) if anyone is interested. There are more details and a contact email on my blog.

Commented on 5-16-2012 At 06:21 pm

It was a pleasure meeting you Mcgoo, and the Malinkys and, well, everyone. The shine' was fine and I will absolutely be there next year. Thanks Larry & Ashley for doing this. Mcgoo tell the young lady that was with you I still owe her a ride on the king & queen, she was dissapointed when I saw her Sunday morning and I was all packed up.

Commented on 5-17-2012 At 03:33 am

nice chops...looks like a simple good ol' time

Commented on 5-17-2012 At 05:56 am

Missed it this year, I'll be there next year for sure!

Commented on 5-17-2012 At 11:22 am

It's good to see a get together like this in the deep south.

Commented on 5-17-2012 At 03:24 pm

When I first moved to Alabama, people would yell, "Roll tide!" and I'd take off running. It took me a couple weeks to figure out it was a football team and not a damned tsunami. I still don't get the obsession, but it's like a religion down here; I guess you have to be raised with it. Soopur sportster took a crap a mile out of town, so I'll have to hit it in 2013.
Damn the luck.

Commented on 5-17-2012 At 11:14 pm

i was so pissed i couldnt make this again. i will for sure next year

Commented on 5-18-2012 At 05:11 am

great time and great bikes. i'll be back next yr! The barber museum tour was great too! only bike in that place that was leaking....shovelhead!

Commented on 5-18-2012 At 06:46 pm

Awesome time!!Great campground, lotta fun folks and bikes and the smoothest shine ever touched my lips!!!
See Y'all next year!!!!!

Commented on 5-21-2012 At 04:25 am

Looks like a good time was had. I love seeing killer chops that actually get ridden.

Commented on 5-25-2012 At 02:15 am

We need to get our asses down there next year! Nothing to wrong with a few Yankees showing up to party with you all. Looks like a blast.

Commented on 12-21-2012 At 08:12 am