Sebastian sent photos of his bike late last year. At the time he was running a big Triumph logo on the tank. That got my attention in a WTF? kind of way. Then I noticed the lack of an oil bag and the extra cap popping out of backbone. "Whoa, it's an oil-in-frame Sportster," I thought to myself. We met Sebastian the week before Christmas and got his whole story. The Triumph sticker was a comic attempt to blend in at an all-British event, and it wasn't the only clever trick this guy has up his sleeve.
What's really cool is that this Sportster isSebastian's first bike, and he proved himself enough to the guys at Garage Company that they let him help build it under the patient guidance of Kiyo. In the process Sebastian learned to weld, use the lathe and myriad other skills. The opportunity to learn from such a talented artisan is not something Sebastian has taken for granted, and in the end he has a unique bike he can be proud of and Garage Company has gained a motivated helper in the shop.
Details from Sebastian: 2006 XL1200R was 100% stock when I bought it. Kiyo and I took it all apart and rebuilt it into the bike you see trying to keep as much original parts as possible just modified. The gas tank is stock but we shortened it and narrowed it an inch. All pegs are stock, just cut down about an inch each and then welded back on the nubs and and slid back on the rubber.
Kiyo did all the technical stuff like welding together the hardtail, which he heated and shaped all himself. To make the oil in frame section we had to cut off the top tube and weld in caps in the top and bottom. Kiyo also made pipes, fender mounts, sissy bar, all electrical, aligned back wheel and set up the back brake. I did the easier stuff like machining fittings and tabs. I also shaved the forks, made bars, shorted pegs, ran oil lines, ran brake and clutch cables on handle bars, and painted everything (except frame, that was powder coated). Over all is was defiantly a team effort.
Engine was kept totally stock. I also wanted to keep it rubber mounted so I machined special sleeves to fit inside the rubber mounts to keep it from ripping out of the castings.
Also, just as a tip, make sure the alarm modual is turned off when rewiring a evo sportster. That was such a pain in the ass because kiyo thought he was wiring it wrong when it was wiring perfect the first time but we didnt think about the activated alarm.
Frame: Stock with hard tail and oil in frame mods.
Chassis mods: Noted above
Tire/wheel size and style: Stock mag wheels. 16 rear and 19 front.
Favorite thing about this bike: It was relatively cheap. Its loud, fast and cuts through LA traffic like butter. Even though its a hard tail, the engine has workable rubber mounts.
Next modification will be: None, this thing is done!
Other mods, accessories, cool parts, etc: S&S super E carb. old pm front brake control. I think I already covered the exciting stuff.
Thanks to: I'd like to thank Yoshi. I would also like to give extra thanks to Kiyo for putting up with me for the last 8 months and taking the time to teach me everything I learned... which is pretty much everything I know about bikes. Check out the Garage Co. blog