H8TR's Outlaw Dyna

Honestly, I don't know what to call these bikes. Obviously not choppers and God forbid someone call one a bobber. I'll settle for "Club Style" since the first ones I noticed were ridden by certain 1%er club members. Those early ones were FXR's, but have since evolved into Harley's venerable Dyna. Since the hit TV show Sons of Malarky came out it seems like the things are everywhere. In Daytona earlier this year, Roadside Marty had the only one that I noticed. Otherwise, it appeared that the trend hadn't taken off with the fervor that is has here in California. Since several guys I know have either sold off their choppers entirely or added a Club Style Dyna to their stable of bikes, I figured it would be good to look into the formula. Chop Cult member H8TR just dumped a fortune into his, and it looks the business.

The evolution of the Club Style bike is something I'll have to speculate on, I'm surely no expert on the subject and if you have science to share feel free to add comments at the bottom of this article. As I imagine it, law enforcement probably used modern vehicle code violations to help put an end to outlaws riding choppers. OK, maybe not an end, but riders had to feel the weight of new requirements; turn signals, helmets, baffled-pipes and all the things good choppers generally don't have. So while enthusiasts can get away with getting a fix-it ticket or a little harassment here and there, a real outlaw wants to avoid contact with the law as much as possible. I would imagine the same theory could be applied to the old bike thing–who wants to wait on the dude with the cranky magneto when some important shit is going down and you could just have a push-button and get the hell out of Dodge? Enter the FXR. I'm a nerd, not an outlaw, but I happen to love mine, and I know several other guys who do too. At the time, the FXR's frame, rubber-mounted engine and other Eric Buell designs were revolutionary and looked different enough from a regular HD that the Motor Company eventually quit making them entirely. But, on this platform the formula for a modern hot rod club bike was born. Fast, good handling, reliable and easily modified for more performance. Small fairings and other pro-street elements made their way onto a lot of FXR's in the 80's and 90's and it's no surprise that the best looking bits of the pro-street days continued onto the Dynas, though thankfully they are usually black and subdued rather than the garish paint from a couple decades ago.

So, what makes a "Club Style" bike these days? In broad strokes I'd say this is the list: Dyna FXDX with gauges intact, Thunderheader, performance mods, tall risers with low bars, fairing, steering stabilizer, seat with some kick in the back and as much black as possible. In theory, every modification must be rooted in something practical or performance-oriented, nothing superfluous – and therein lies the beauty of these bikes. Even the fantasy outlaw scenario of "I don't know, it was an all-black bike, dude had on an all-black full-face helmet" makes it possible raise hell with a certain amount of anonymity. I will reserve judgement on the riders of these bikes, surely some are legit badasses and some just like to play dress-up, but either way the machines built in this purposeful style are fast, fun and look tough as nails.

I nailed down h8tr right after he got his bike back from Mackie up in Ventura. He made me ride it. He's a big guy, so who am I to say decline? I love railing around like a crackhead on my FXR but this Dyna will stomp my mostly stock 80" in a heartbeat. This particular Dyna sits a little high for me, but like I said, h8tr's a large dude and it fits him perfectly. The tall risers would take some getting used to for me, and honestly, I don't get the point of these much. A lower bar seems more performance oriented and fits through tight traffic easier. Is there a legit reason for the height? I get the tall risers and flat bars, with apes this size they would be wider and slip in the risers under heavy cornering. Other than one simple ergonomic complaint, this machine is glorious to ride. Full throttle runs will loft the tire easily and for a heavy bike the suspension and brakes feel up to the task. Over 90mph, the tail wags a bit, but h8tr's already got plans to get that dialed.

Bike name: The War Pig

Engine, year and make, model, modifications: 2005 Dyna FXDXI, 95" Dave Mackie Engineering Mega-sphere heads and pistons, ported and polished heads, Mackie 590 gear drive cams, Fueling cam plate, Fueling oil pump, Fueling beehive valve springs, compression release valves, 48mm throttle body, zippers backing plate and air filter assembly, TTS Mastertuner, ceramic coated Thunderheader, Primo Rivera Pro Clutch.  It's putting out 116 HP, 114 TQ.

Frame: Stock

Fork: 39mm hydraulic with Race Tech heavy duty springs and Gold Valve Emulators, adjustable for compression, damping and rebound.

Tire/wheel size and style: Stock mags (19 front, 16 rear) powder coated black, Metzler 880's front and rear.

Favorite thing about this bike: It's reliable, it's fun, it starts when I want it to.

Next modification will be: Sputhe or True-track chassis stabilizer.

Other mods, accessories, cool parts, etc: Works Suspension dual rate rear shocks; Alth full foating rotors front and rear; over sized (13.5) rotors in the front.

I bought this bike after I sold my 1980 Shovel (see current issue of Greasy Kulture). I wanted something that would start and ride easily. My buddy, Mike D from Blotto Parts had an FXDX and loved it. So, I hunted around until I found a good base bike and went from there. It's a bike built for a purpose, a utility... beat it, thrash it, ride it hard and fast and whenever I want to. It's really fun to ride, it's loud and fast and does wheelies. Mike D sold his FXDX two days after I got this back from Dave Mackie, so now you'll see me cruising with a sexy red Ducati Hypermotard.  Kind of an odd pair, but it seems fitting.

Thanks to:

Mike D - www.blottoparts.blogspot.com

Dave Mackie Engineering, ask for Monty - www.davemackie.com

And, of course my wife and kids for the patience and understanding.

Commented on 6-20-2011 At 09:24 pm

"Dragon would not have approved of this feature" Perfect.

Summed up nicely JGH. Art imitating life...

Commented on 6-21-2011 At 08:39 am

I have been looking for a Twinkie Dyna ever since I saw Blottos on the EDR in May. I love the way the thing looks and has a killer motor and suspension. If you are into riding and going places this is the bike for you. 100+ HP and 100+ ft/lbs of torque yee ha. Wheelies, burnouts and ripping the freeway are what this thing is capable of. I love the low maintenance look! No California Car dusters required for this thing! Great Job H8TR. Tim

Commented on 6-21-2011 At 03:59 pm

Well I would never sink that much money into my FXDX but kudos, the thing is sick. I run 4" risers with Biltwell trackers, I think it looks sick (very close to stock look while more comfortable and much narrower).

BTW to all the suspension haters, I used to hate how mine looked too, until I saw a picture of me sitting on it and realized how much it squats. Personally I don't care how it looks in the parking lot, you'll see it when I pass your ass.

Commented on 6-22-2011 At 10:03 am

Those tall shocks make a big difference on the highway when you hit some small dip or bump on the road at 100mph + . If your shit bottoms out at that speed , and you lose control , you're fucked and you take out yourself & a bunch of your brothers .

Commented on 6-22-2011 At 10:03 am

oh and , nice bike .

Commented on 6-22-2011 At 03:18 pm

WELL WELL.......H8TER...
YOU DID GOOD BY THIS BIKE...I REMEMBER WHEN YOU ,MIKED AND I RODE TO THE FIRST....HOEDOWN TOGETHER...YOU AND I ON SHITTY POS SHOVELHEADS AND MIKED ON A FAST SPORTY!
FUN DAY!
THIS BIKE IS BUILT TO HAUL ASS AND WORK......
I HAVE RIDDEN OLD SHIT BOX PERIOD STYLE CHOPPER THINGS....THEY SUCK...!!
FROM A PERSON WHO RIDES AND BIKE CLOSE TO THIS!..(WHICH REMINDS ME...LETS LINE THEM UP)...LOL
I WOULD HAVE A BIKE LIKE THIS OVER A SWAPMEET BIKE THROWN TOGETHER WITH A BUNCH OF PARTS FROM OLD GREY BEARDS ANY DAY OF THE WEEK....AND I CAN SAY THIS BECAUSE I'VE OWNED BOTH...

SO CATS BEFORE YOU KNOCK IT.....TRY ONE!...IM PRETTY SURE YOU'LL DIG THE FUCK OUT OF IT...
AND JUST THINK...WHEN YOU BEEN WORKING ON THAT HOT TATTOO'D CHICK AT THE BAR...AND YOU GO TO TAKE HER HOME...AND YOU'VE BEEN KICKING THAT POS PERIOD CORRECT MAG CHOPPER....
IM GUNNA RIDE UP ALL FLOSSY LIKE AND HAVE HER SIT ON MY COUCH OF A BIKE WITH ELECTRIC START AND BITCH'N SUSPENSION .....AND RIDE BACK TO MY PAD ....AND KNOCK THE BOTTOM OUT OF HER WHILE YOU AND YOUR BOYS LOAD UP THAT BITCH'N CHOPPER ' BRO"...

HAHAHA....
SEE YA SOON ....CATS!..

Commented on 6-22-2011 At 09:36 pm

I love these bikes I live around cave creek and phoenix and I go to school and shows with a lot of guys that ride this style bike .they are super comfortable and functional you can go 90 all day if you want . And if you set them up right you can ride them like a dirt bike

Commented on 6-25-2011 At 06:36 am

Kick ass bike man.

Commented on 6-27-2011 At 09:26 am

Ive been slowly making my Sporty in this style for the past 2 years. I don't understand the hate and belittling of this style. Just cuz of a TV show?

Alot of "holier than thou attitudes" if you ask me.

Commented on 6-27-2011 At 09:26 am

Congrats to Hater BTW. The bike is sick

Commented on 6-28-2011 At 07:40 pm

my fxrs are both set up kinda like that didnot no it was a fad just thought that was the way they should look, in my head anyway and thats the way they ride and handle great

Commented on 6-28-2011 At 07:40 pm

Commented on 6-30-2011 At 08:13 pm

sorry, I still don't get it. Club Bikes for non-club members seems kinda poser-ish to me. Yes the bikes are cool, but it seems to be 1 step removed from rocking a Sons of Anarchy t-shirt doesn't it?
I am a fan of all motorcyckes, but these seems to be a typical So Cal trend just like kunuckles and skinny jeans..... shovels and Vans and Sportsters and the "cafe" look!

Come one people..... how about getting your OWN style and stop following already set trends!!!

Hate me for posting the truth, but for fukssake.... someone had to!

Commented on 8-3-2011 At 07:51 pm

I agree with JGH completely.

Low key, functional, and built for speed.

Killer bike H8TR.

Commented on 8-9-2011 At 04:30 pm

@Evobuilder - a rigid frame and a sporty tank are your "own" style? Damn, you're a trend setter.

Commented on 8-19-2011 At 01:41 pm

All business bike right here

Commented on 9-5-2011 At 04:26 pm

I used to work at a dealership, we were pretty jaded about test riding softails and streetglides and the like, but everytime a dyna of this type would come in the techs would be stoked about working on it and riding it. You can really get it on this setup. Alot of us started on sportbikes so we need a bike that can be rode hard. My 80-90 hp FXR is way more fun on the street than my superbike was, its all about torque.

Commented on 10-27-2011 At 10:03 am

FUNCTION OVER FASHION MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!! LET THE PUSSYS HATE, IF SOMEONE CALLS IT A SONS OF ANARCHY BIKE PUNCH EM IN THE MOUTH. PERIOD.

Commented on 12-29-2011 At 02:36 pm

all buisness ya got to have a lagitt bike if yur in a club the man will empty yur wallet as for function nuthin beats the dynas bobs & chops are rock stars but if yur T.C .O.B ya better have the balls&bike to do it

Commented on 12-30-2011 At 11:15 am

Good bikes love them I want an 04 sport

Commented on 6-6-2012 At 11:43 am

somehow I don't think STANDARD gets laid much...

Commented on 8-11-2012 At 06:46 pm

Never knew this was a real life style before the show. I dig it but would have trouble rocking one because of Sons of Anarchy. That siad, say what you want about the SOA for me its junk food for the brain, yes I watch it an laugh but isn't thats what its for. I'm picturing a guy riding a "Club Style" Bike and waring an SOA shirt and laughing more. -Bear

Commented on 11-8-2012 At 12:54 pm

This has Sons of Anarchy TV show written all over it, but I can't resist the all black

Commented on 6-5-2014 At 05:58 pm

This was my inspiration!!! I just purchased a 99 FXDX and doing a bunch of mods to black it out. What brake motors are those? I can't seem to find those anywhere. Want those exact ones.

Commented on 7-7-2016 At 07:56 am

Very clean and elegant bike. Not sure why some of the posters on here critique it for being too 'stock'. There's a shit ton of engine and suspension mods on it...the stuff that counts!

I do have to agree with the OP...not sure about the whole hi-riser/drag bar thing...seems out of place especially since it places the bars above the fairing and it is less of a performance riding stance...but to each his own, especially if the owner is tall.

Commented on 11-22-2016 At 06:45 am

Dope bike, brosef. Not my style, but I still respect it.