Duck Soup: A New Hypermotard Joins the Flock

Despite its peculiar skillset and prohibitively high MSRP, I have lusted after Ducati's Hypermotard 1100 since I saw 20 of these naked hybrids in a Ducati demo at the famous Cook's Corner "biker bar" in Orange County, California, last year.

duck-action.jpg

Introduced to the US market in 2007, The 1100 Hypermotard and its more aggressively spec'ed 1100S stablemate raised heart rates among Ducati tifosi even higher than it raised the eyebrows of jaded moto journalists. Less all-terrain capable than its "motard" moniker implies, this air-cooled L-twin generates 90 horsepower and is capable of 125 mph, plenty fast enough for the canyons Ducati says its hand-built urban assault bike is designed to attack.

duck-right-side.jpg

The 2009 Ducati 1100

With the "S" model fetching nearly $15,000, this 1100cc Duck slides neatly between two other curious Euro machines: BMW's R1200R ($13,000) and KTM's 990 Super Duke R ($16,000.)

ducati-4x4.jpg

This month Ducati announced a smaller sibling in their Hypermotard arsenal: The 796. Boasting a 20mm lower seat height and $9,900 pricetag, the 370-pound machine eschews the hydraulically actuated dry clutch found on the 1100 for a cable-operated wet clutch for "smoother power delivery" from its all-new L-twin. Eight-hundred cc's, a 31-inch seat height and a sub-10k pricetag? Looks like a cocky Italian we know is itching to kick some Wisconsin ass.

duck-796.jpg

Now available: the 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796. Sportster, indeed

If I didn't currently owe BMW three large for my G650 X-Challenge, I'd give this diminutive Duck a serious gander. This swoopy exotic is certainly potent enough for my timid nature. If anyone on ChopCult has test ridden this hot little Italian, please share the experience with your friends and our readers.

www.Ducati.com

Commented on 11-27-2009 At 02:57 pm

Im calling Paul TODAY over at GP to ride one in the very near future - that is some sex on wheels right there...

Commented on 11-27-2009 At 06:00 pm

That's a lot of bike for ten g's. 800ccs is no joke either.

Commented on 11-27-2009 At 06:48 pm

The blacked-out one is the cats MMMMEEEEEOOOOOWWWWWW

Commented on 11-28-2009 At 12:57 am

They would through me under the jail if ever got to ride one of these.

Commented on 11-28-2009 At 01:24 am

I am not mature enough to own one of these. When they first came out in 2007 I test rode one here in Hawaii and I was amazed at the speed and handling it had. HOLY SHIT!!!!! That 1100S is sweet!!!!!! Makes my old DRZ 400SM look like a snail.

Commented on 11-28-2009 At 05:26 am

As we were walking from the coffee shop to the park this morning I heard the most beautiful noise come from a garage. It turns out to be a red 1100 with aftermarket cans and a dry clutch! As he pulls out and my wife could sees the lust in my eyes she laughs and shakes her head! Busted again longing after a bike and not a blonde!

Commented on 11-29-2009 At 03:56 am

cool. I'm going to see what these are worth down here....

Commented on 11-29-2009 At 07:36 pm

sex on wheels for sure!!! I'm in luhhhhvvvv....hot!!!

Commented on 11-30-2009 At 11:16 pm

that bike is absolutely gorgeous. i want

Commented on 12-4-2009 At 12:20 am

I saw one these days... Rode one too. Kicks a punch, but feels like your riding Jaspion's bike! (anyone remember Jaspion?)

Commented on 12-4-2009 At 12:20 am

Commented on 8-17-2010 At 11:22 pm

Link to classifieds: Nice clean one owner low mileage kidney for sale everything works 15,000$ or best offer, or willing to trade for ducati 1100s