Baja or Bust: Behind the Scenes at the EDR Bike Show

Like everything else related to the El Diablo Run, details for things like bike show criteria and trophy presentations are pretty informal. What usually happens the last day in Ensenada is this: Billdozer and I ask some friends and respected participants which bikes and riders impressed them, and the three names and machines heard most often get whatever prize we cooked up for their respective class.

As on previous runs, EDR IV honored bikes and riders in three classes: La Cucaracha, Iron Butt and Best in Show. This sweet green shovel was the hands-down favorite for the latter trophy, which this year was a custom-painted bottle of Peligroso tequila. It went to Dave from Vancouver, BC, Canada, a feat that damn near earned him a BIS/Iron Butt sweep.

Iron Butt went to a 20-year-old girl from San Francisco named Cassandra who rode solo a Sportster she inherited from her deceased grandfather. El Diablo Runners often come packed with heavy backstories like Cassandra's, and that's what makes this Mexican adventure so interesting and unique.

Congratulations to Dave, Cassandra and to Ryan from Big Bear, CA, for punishing his elegrantly crusty knuckle all the way across Baja. There's a fine line between "Best in Show" and "Cockroach" on the EDR, and if Ryan's bike hadn't laid down on him the same afternoon as final judging, it damn near could have scooped up our top prize.

Baja is a fickle lady, so it's impossible to say which way she'll blow.

Thanks to Peligroso Tequila for supplying this year's fantastic EDR show prizes.

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 12:15 pm

What do the three categories mean? I thought "iron butt" would be for rigids, but apparently not...

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 01:06 pm

wow 20 and riding solo to mexico, somebody better propose to that wild one thats hot.

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 02:21 pm

Zooligan, I don't believe Iron Butt has to mean riding a rigid. One can equally assign it to someone will, which emanates from their heart, yet may be strong/large enough to encompass their butt.

The Bay Area to Baja is not a short ride. For a young woman to go it alone is a mighty task. She has some real gumption…and an Iron Butt Award to prove it.

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 02:24 pm

And that Green Shovel is amazing. I'm planning my trip to Vancouver to steal that shit. Hear that Brian? I'm comin'!

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 03:10 pm

Well deserved awards. The green Shovel is the cat's ass for sure.

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 04:56 pm

So cool the nor-cal hottie won the iron but, and ironic. The very first EDR two females showed up the night before, one on a bagger one on a sporty. The chick on the sporty had probably 20 hours of riding time, a total newby. The first year was super knarly, rain, wind, cold, massive potholes. This chick rode the entire trip, dumped the bike once and kept going. I was one of the judges, I voted for her to win the Iron Butt, alas I was overruled with the "it's not a rigid" concept. Hogwash!

Good job folks!! Looks like the spirit of the EDR is going strong!

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 05:00 pm

Ha, ha, with so many rigid bikes, the award has to go someone with a bit of a story. There were lots of contenders, hell everyone suffered or had a good story, rode a bunch of miles, etc. In the end we just picked the cute girl who had the nuts to come by herself. We really don't take this very serious.

Cro, we called that chick from year one "The Wild Rose" and if I'm right, your pal Joey might have gotten some work done that year...

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 05:29 pm

haha, yeah Bill, Ole Joey did, ah, do some work. Shit, I was kicked out of the damn tent, slept on the ground by the fire while Joe was warmed up between the two. He still owes me! HA!

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 05:29 pm

Well-deserved. All great bikes. All great people.

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 06:03 pm

Not only is the Knuck a beaut but the owner has some skills on a dance pole and hoops in da strip joint!

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 06:36 pm

Thanks for the Best in show Had a great time. You can all call me Brian if you want to but my name is Dave. Brian is the other crazy Canadian on the other green shovel. Cheers and beers

Commented on 6-1-2011 At 07:21 pm

i agree my buddy rode his rigid shovel id just like to see a pic of it

Commented on 6-5-2011 At 08:38 pm

yeah hats off to Cassandra, that's quite a feat!

Commented on 6-6-2011 At 02:20 am

those bikes and the people that rode em rip. definitely deserved.