2010 Twine Ball Run Recap

This isn’t a story about the Twine Ball Run. Plenty of backslapping, man hugging and high-fiving on that matter can be seen in the ChopCult forum. This homage is to the men and women who turned a sleepy slab of Corn Belt and a tourist trap into bona fide stars on the modern chopper map for one weekend, bugs be damned.

It took little more than a nudge from ChopCult members Bulldog, ChoppyGee and Weedkiller to get the twine ball rolling. News of their plans traveled fast in the 33 forum, and like-minded bikeriders from California to Georgia vowed their support. When the TBR started July 31, roughly 50 riders and half again as many chase truckers and friends gathered in eastern Kansas for 72 hours of beer drinking and bike riding near the geographical center of the American motorcycle universe.

The grassy infield of a half-mile dirt track on the fairgrounds of Osborne, Kansas, provided the venue for this no-frills funfest. Weedkiller’s efforts to secure the ramshackled racetrack near his Kansas home were tremendous, and didn’t come without headache. After shucking and jiving with Osborne officials on a regular basis, Weedkiller convinced his neighbors that no madness or mayhem would besmirch their burg. Inviting locals to participate in the bike show and raffle Saturday evening certainly didn’t hurt his efforts. Nice work, gentlemen. The brisket Osborne locals slung for five bucks a plate was delicious, and the TBR beer coozies custom-printed to commemorate fallen ChopCult comrade Bryan Berky kept my chardonnay chilled all night. Events like the Twine Ball Run always reaffirm my personal belief that the negative vibe between "dirty bikers," "fuckin' cops" and "stupid locals" is usually exagerated. The people of Osborne I met seemed genuinely pleased with the energy and commerce the TBR brought to their sleepy town.

ChoppyGee organized the bike show and burnout challenge. While most riders didn’t feel like smoking their tires in the already hot and bug-infested infield, everyone obliged the motivated kid when he asked them to line up for the bike show and raffle. Choppy’s energy was evident, and his enthusiasm is real. The fact that Choppy rode all the way to eastern Kansas from Wyoming via Utah says all you need to know about this 20-year-old’s dedication to the scene. Stay motivated, my friend—this scene needs more young guys like you.

The Lords of Loud dragged their thundering posse to the Twine Ball Run, and easily lived up to their name. After 48 hours of constant badgering, Wes—the Loudest Lord of all—convinced Weedkiller to take a dozen brothers on a hot lap around the dirt track in his Itasca motorhome. White flour!

Not funny? I guess you had to be there. Actually, you should have been there, because it was a blast. If Kansas is too far from home, follow Choppy, Bulldog and Weedkiller's lead and throw a biker bro down of your own. It's easier than you think, and way more fun than the hot dog social at Cockandball's H-D in North Chaps, Nebraska.

To read first-person accounts and see other photos of the fun, click here.

Thanks to ChopCult advertisers Biltwell and Eternal Combustion for donating prizes for the bike show and raffle.

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 12:23 pm

Looked like a blast!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 03:09 pm

Was an all out blast!!!! LORDS OF LOUD!!!!!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 03:54 pm

I am the loudest lord of all.....Nah Group efforts were what it took for the RV to happen. in fact as I was giving up Tribal went and banged the drum and sealed the deal. 3rd degree burn crew rules!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 03:55 pm

WHITE FLOUR!!!!!!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 04:00 pm

Fuck YES! I can't wait until next year! Pink hats and tribal tatt's!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 04:20 pm

So I forgot to add this lil bit of info. I'm not sure if this happened to anyone else; but it did to many several times, locals came up and thanked us for having this. Most thought it was good for this sleepy town. I had the old guy with the Samuri come up and talk about the good old days when the town was fun and bikes from when he was young and wild. Several locals asked if were going to do it again and said they really wanted us to.

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 04:46 pm

"We'll burn that motherfucker down too!!!!"

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 05:20 pm

Yeah, Sighless the same happened to me. The guy in the Yellow whateveritwas was Bob Khulman. He was the one that welded up my broken fender and let me use his air conditioned shop to adjust my valves. The only payment he would take was that I drink a beer. I didn't even ask for him to do this, he just offered. Very cool. I just realized I missed my chance to have McGoo shoot my bike. I think he was ready and I wandered off in search of my lost glove. Never found the glove and got no pics of the bike. Wasn't trying to be rude McGoo, just an ADHD moment!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 06:23 pm

Cheers Bulldog, ChoppyGee and Weedkiller, you've successfully made history! I thought for sure the Twine Ball was a Transformer (where else would one hide in KS?) and it was going to come alive and strangle all of you ...

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 06:59 pm

There was a weird Twilight Zone/zombie movie moment about 6:30 Saturday morning when nobody was stirring on the fairgrounds....so I walked uptown...which was even more bizarre...but there was life when I got back. Crazy stuff along the way with the killer mini hurricane between Lucas and Luray but well worth the trip. Looking forward to next year!!!!!!!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 09:10 pm

It was an awesome time. Well worth the trip.

"Good roads bring bad people and bad roads bring good people."
-McGoo (2010)

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 09:28 pm

I never knew that BFE Kansas could be so rad!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 10:00 pm

Kansas miles are way longer then any Texas miles i'll tell ya & it was ALL fuckin worth it! But i'll never stand on top of an Itasca going around a dirt track again haha! LORDS OF LOUD FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commented on 8-6-2010 At 10:55 pm

^^^HHAHAaahahahaaaaaa^^^ Trouble you are fucking crazy! That shit was seriously insane! "Y'all almost lost me 3 times!" *insert southern drawl*

Commented on 8-7-2010 At 01:13 am

Damn - I wish I coulda gone, but having 3 bikes down at once put a damper on that - next year for sure tho

Commented on 8-7-2010 At 03:41 am

So the only thing that sucked is no one woke us up for the bike show!?! burn out/T-shirts!!!LOL,Oh well, always next year....Had! so much fun

Commented on 8-7-2010 At 07:05 am

Thank you for the recognition but the real deal is Bulldog. He put this together. He is a solid man, both in statute and in character. Thanks to John G. for laying his nuts on a razor blade. Raelynn for doing all the trench work. This was a good cluster-fuck, be proud. Those that attended, I thank you the most. As one we are one, united we stand for the one that is afraid to stand alone. Hope to see you all again.

Commented on 8-9-2010 At 10:51 pm

Wish I had more time off this summer to much good stuff going down around the country

Commented on 8-10-2010 At 05:46 am

good party, good kolks! Lords of loud aint bad either, I will see you fuckers in arkansas. Sorry I missed saturday night, I ate some vicaden, flexarall, mushrooms, 8 beers, some whiskey and passed out at nine. Great Party!!

Commented on 8-16-2010 At 11:15 pm

that twin headlight blue harley with the king and queen seat is nuts. Any idea what that springer is off?